Greetings! Today, I am attending the Republican Party of Pennsylvania’s Annual Winter Meeting in Hershey. This is a great opportunity for me to catch up with so many friends and supporters, update them on what is going on in Congress and thank them for their support.
This week, we had our first Budget Committee hearing where I spoke out about the need for the federal government to reduce spending. I questioned Keith Hall, the Director of the Congressional Budget Office, about the real financial issues our nation is facing due to the dramatic overspending that occurred prior to 2016. Click here to watch my comments and questions at the hearing. What is clear after reviewing the unemployment numbers and our nation’s economic condition, is that the Jobs and Tax Cuts Act worked to galvanize the economy. Now it is incumbent upon Congress to reduce government spending. That will be a priority for me on the Budget Committee.
I continue to support President Trump and our Republican House leaders’ efforts to pass a government spending bill that includes funding for border security and a wall. Click here to watch an interview I conducted with Stuart Varney on Fox Business earlier this week regarding the need to fund border security. We must secure our border and it is critical that the Democrats get to the negotiating table and work towards a solution. Our country needs a border wall!
Additionally, I co-sponsored a Congressman GT Thompson (R-PA) and Congressman Colin Peterson (D-MN) bill, "Whole Milk for Healthy Kids Act of 2019." This bill would allow for unflavored and flavored whole milk to be serve in school cafeterias. This will help improve the health of our children and help increase the sale of milk in Pennsylvania and across the nation.
You may have read in the local news that I am requesting answers from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency regarding newly implemented fees associated with MS4 permit compliance to address sediment in the Chesapeake Bay watershed. I am concerned that the residents are being forced to pay for an unfunded government mandate.
Here is another update in what is fast becoming our top feature in these weekly emails… News you won’t hear in the mainstream media… I joined with my fellow Congressional Republicans to support an amendment to H.R. 790, the Federal Civilian Workforce Pay Raise Fairness Act. Our amendment would have prohibited any employee who has been disciplined for sexual misconduct from receiving the 2.6% pay increase provided by the underlying bill. Our motion was defeated with just a handful of Democrats joining us in support of an extremely commonsense amendment. This is just another example of how the rhetoric coming from the House Democratic Caucus does not match their actions. There has been a lot of talk in Congress about punishing those who have committed acts of sexual misconduct, but given the opportunity to take a significant action the Democrats gave abusers a taxpayer-funded pay raise.
Like you, I am amazed by just how extreme the Democratic socialists have become in Washington. Here are some of the most outrageous things they have said and done just this past week:
- Celebrating denying funding for border security.
- Speaker Nancy Pelosi said no funding for the wall despite over 60 Democrats supporting physical barriers.
- Attempted to remove “God” from the House Natural Resources Committee oath.
- Refused to condemn anti-Semitic statements made by members of their caucus, where one member outrageously compared the Jewish state to Iran.
Outside of Washington, Democratic socialists went even further:
- Admitting that their much talked about health care plan would completely eliminate private insurance.
- Discussing plans to increase the tax rate to 90% to pay for their socialist plans like Medicaid for All and the Green New Deal.
- Most shocking of all, Liberals in Virginia’s state assembly were attempting to advance legislation that would allow abortions as the mother is giving birth. Democratic Governor Ralph Northam outrageously defended the bill by stating “the infant would be kept comfortable” while they decide the baby’s fate.
While Democrat socialists are discussing not funding a wall or border security, eliminating private insurance, increasing taxes and infanticide; we are committed to passing a budget that includes funding to build a wall and border security, eliminating wasteful spending and protecting the sanctity of unborn human life.
Thank you for your continued support.